Saturday, December 18, 2010

Finally, A Letter

Sunday, December 5, 2010

So, let's talk about boot camp. It's been awhile since I've been able to write an update. I'm not exactly sure where I left off. I'll just start by saying that I got my 4th class swim qualifications (I have to wait until team week for my higher quals) and I have my tan MCMAP belt.

Monday, Training day 24, was Initial Drill and our platoon managed to fail miserably -- our Drill Instructors haven't let us forget it either. By other Marines' standards, we've been told we march like Phase 3 recruits and our sister platoon is obviously better but our Drill Instructors and Senior Drill Instructor pretty much hate us right now because they say we "fail to perform." Boot camp is incredibly emotionally and mentally taxing.

But I digress... our first training day of Phase 2 was Tuesday, TD25, and we went to the gas chamber. It wasn't that bad but recruits were jumping around and swearing like they were ON FIRE. I'll admit to the thought of running for the door but getting choke-slammed by a Drill Instructor seemed like the worse of the two options. One recruit from our sister platoon peed on herself, but that's another story entirely.

This week we had our first uniform fittings for our service and dress uniforms; and my cammies actually have my last name and "U.S. Marines" above the breast pockets now. Oh! my boots are bloused now too. The platoon is actually starting to look like Marines -- too bad they don't act like it yet.

Anyways, I'm running out of time, but I will tell you that we hiked to the rifle range yesterday and will be here for the next two weeks. I'll write again soon but it's off to church for me.

Rct. Garner


Continuation...

Sunday, December 12, 2010

It's taken me a full week to start a continuation of the last update. Grass week at the rifle range is now over, and we're half way to graduation. Our platoon had a few mile-stones this week; Yesterday was the Initial PFT (we all passed even though the majority of us were too exhausted to give a great performance), we've all had a chance to fire our weapons and we actually got rewarded with chocolate this week.

In other news, this recruit is now a squad leader -- appointed by the Senior Drill Instructor herself. Why? Not entirely sure yet. Balancing a schedule between being a regular recruit, an artist recruit AND a squad leader is ridiculous but somehow I manage.

Our SDI doesn't hate us anymore and we're actually being treated like second phase recruits. We get to do things without being counted down and we get to go places without the Drill Instructors at times. It's hard to express in writing how nice that is.

The rifle range squad bay feels so big and empty in comparison to our "home" back at 4th Battalion. We're not in the regular buildings like the males; it's more like a giant trailer. Food here is awesome but they don't let us eat the male chow and they get to eat things like fries, cake, cheeseburgers, cinnamon rolls, and as big of a portion as they want. We get bigger portions here than back home but at afternoon and evening chow we basically eat the male "diet" trays.

Our platoon constantly prays for box chow -- it always has a sandwich, an apple, orange, two granola bars, a hard boiled egg, raisins and a packet of Gatorade. The great thing about this upcoming week is that we'll have box chow everyday while we're on the range. It's no secret that Platoon 4003 LOVES box chow and out sister platoon, their Drill Instructors, our Drill Instructors, and our marksmanship coaches think it's so bizarre.

But I suppose I should talk about things other than chow...

Actually, one more chow-related story: recently my aunt sent some cookies in the mail... My advice to any recruit coming to Marine Corp Recruit Training is DO NOT let relatives send any edible items. You WILL get thrashed for it. I paid dearly for those cookies on the quarterdeck, in the pit and scuzzing up and down our enormous squad bay. Anyways, I have things to do and places to be. I'll write again soon.

Rct. Garner

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I've been coming on here every single day since the Thanksgiving post and I'm so happy to get to read more. Can't wait for the next! By the time you see this Garner, you will be a US Marine. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete